Sunday, September 9, 2012

Rainbows and Unicorns: the 2nd Week

Well there's never a dull moment in my classroom that's for sure. I'm still loving it and so excited to go back on Monday. Have you ever had one of those moments where you just stare in shock thinking, "Did that really just happen?". That definitely happened to me this past week.

So it was a normal day at recess, the kids were racing around and having a blast. I had required one student  to sit out with me part of his recess on the bench because of his behavior in the classroom. This, of course, sent him into a fit on the floor where he proceeded to crawl away from me underneath the play structure (this isn't the crazy part). As I'm kneeling down explaining to him that he had two choices, he could choose to cry and have a fit on the floor of the playground for the entire recess or he could choose to sit with me for five minutes on the bench and than enjoy the rest of his time with his friends, I hear a hissing sound behind me. I turned around and one of my male students had decided that this was the time he needed to go to the bathroom. Oh yes, he was peeing on the play structure right near my foot. The situation was dealt with but needless to say, at first I was very shocked. 

In a writing lesson the other day, we were talking about how to draw real people and pictures that tell stories. As an example I drew a picture of when I was jumping on my parents bed and fell off and cracked my head open, great story right? Anyways, we were brainstorming what to put in the room because rooms are more than just a bed. We put a closet, a dresser, a lamp and than a student raised her hand and said "Rainbows and unicorns!". Adorable right? So of course I explained that while my parents room didn't have rainbows and unicorns I'd put them in there just for fun.

Lesson of the week: I need to be better about parent communication. If a student wets themselves, even if they already have an extra pair of clothes there, I need to call and let the parent know. If there's an incident of any type that is out of the ordinary, I need to let the parent know. They like to be involved and know what happens with their kids at school.


2 comments:

  1. heather, i am so happy for you!! and i am so glad and grateful for these little updates. i sure hope you have time to continue them. :) i am so stoked for you! and your classroom looks awesome, and i'm positive you truly are the best kindergarten teacher ever. also, we should skype. just sayin. :)

    ReplyDelete