Sunday, March 25, 2012

T.J. and Purple Cabs


So, guess who came out to visit me this past week? (Seriously guess...) Oh my gosh that was SO close, haha my little 16 year old awesome sister Laurissa!! She got here Monday evening at about 6:30, needless to say we made the hugest scene at the airport. If you think one Boatwright is loud and hyper, imagine two Boatwright's who haven't seen each other in 3 months! We both squealed, ran, and jumped up and down repeatedly, everyone was staring but I could have cared less. To the left you see us the next morning waiting at the metro station for our ride to adventures GALORE (lore, lore, lore)

We went to the American History Museum (home of the one and only ruby red slippers from Wizard of Oz, and the original Star Spangled Banner), it is also where a large picture of Thomas Jefferson (Or T.J which we like to call him) and exhibit exists. Yes he's blushing from Laurissas kiss, she just has that affect on Presidents. We hit up the Natural History Museum (where the HUGEST sloth in history resides, seriously its the size of a dinosaur with fangs and feet), and the National Archives (which has the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and the Bill of Rights- located in the Rotunda) where you are not allowed to take pictures inside ANYWHERE. Trust me, I asked.

Throughout the week we also went to the Air and Space museum, where we touched a piece of the moon (no, I am not kidding), went to all the memorials and basked in the light of the Cherry Blossoms (its they're 100th anniversary this year, Japan donated them to the US and they only bloom for a few weeks out of the year!). It was awesome!

After all the touristy stuff was hit we went to Old Town Alexandria! We ate frozen yogurt, had lunch at Cafe Madeleine and walked the water front. Than later on we hit 701 for dinner (fancy restaurant, I had the most amazing duck with date sauce EVER) and than Georgetown. Here we got free cupcakes from Sprinkles which were ok and than we bought some AWESOME cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcakes (Chocolate Peanut Butter swirl!! AMAZING!), these were cleverly hidden inside of my purse to be devoured during the midnight showing of (wait for it....) HUNGER GAMES! While we waited we hit up Serendipity for a frozen hot chocolate to split, played card games, and drank as much Dr.Pepper as we could. The movie rocked, totally followed the plot of the books and sucked me in. Although it was darker than I expected, it was realistic and I loved it. Afterwards we panicked because the metro was closed, but than rejoiced upon finding a purple cab to ride in instead! Much faster and cooler.

The day after we slept in, went to Arlington Cemetery, and went to the DC temple to do baptisms. It was restful, and peaceful. After the temple we hit up Johnny Rockers for dinner and (surprise surprise) went back to Georgetown Cupcakes (lemon blossom, chocolate pb chip, and choc mint crunch...best pb frosting I have ever tasted in my life!). Before she left DC we did brunch at the Hamilton (its a quintessential DC thing) and than she left my life...no I didn't cry! But I was definitely holding back tears as I hugged her goodbye. It was an awesome week and I'm soooo glad she came.

UPDATE: I passed my teaching audition! I am now eligible for hire in DC, and have been placed into the highly effective teacher pool. I should be getting information on teaching events, and job availability within DC, as well as job offers, soon. Cross your fingers ladies and gents, my dreams about to come true!

1 comment:

  1. if i would not have read this post carefully i probably would have barfed, because the words old town alexandria and duck in the same post brought back some haunting memories. but since they were not related and the words bilbo baggins were not mentioned i held back the vomit. but seriously, this made me miss d.c. a lot and made me almost hope that i get into grad school there instead of nc. :) love and miss you heatheroo. and so glad that you had a fun time w your sis.

    ReplyDelete